Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Michigan bottle deposit scam redux: Trains, Planes and Automobiles.

In this analogy, Alli's the one on the left.

As you may remember, with the help of some friends we tracked down the perfect kitchen tile a few weeks back. The catch was that it was in Albany NY and we are in Washington DC. Un-deterred by seperation of a few states we've been running the shipping numbers back and forth for weeks and I finally decided to give up and drive it back myself. A one way flight and a car rental ultimately priced out significantly less than any legitimate shipping operation. Keen observers may note that this equation only works out if your time is worth nothing, which I'm fairly sure I've demonstrated is true over the last 4 years of this renovation. Ahead of the trip I did some weight estimations one more time and for that I broke out the real science:
4 tile samples = 1 full tile = 1 enchilada sauce+ 1 jar of artisanal honey or a unit of measure expressed as 1 Artisanal Sauce Unit [ASU].

While not officially recognized by NIST I was none-the-less confident that my order would approximate 400 ASU or about the weight of 4 really fat people. Confident finally in my maths I set out to find a car big enough to fit and after explaining the conversion to equivalent fat people to the helpful folks at Hertz they found me the perfect American SUV for the drive home. And so the day began with a Train to the bus depot:
A bus to the Plane depot:
And a plane to the car rental kiosk:
And ultimately the car to the tile storage:
It may not look like much, but that pedastal sink was 7' tall!

All the while back at the house persons whose time was indeed worth something were busy wiring with wire and insulating with insulation:
I'm just glad they're consistent in their efforts to maintain a clean and organized work area.

No comments: